This Italian Christmas Biscotti is a popular favourite in our family and with many of our friends. Crunchy and sweet, it really is very simple to make – just the way we like our recipes!
It is baked twice to perfect a masterful crunch. Note: It’s best, when baked once, wrapped in alfoil and placed in the fridge overnight and cut ‘n’ baked again the next day.
- 3 egg whites
- 3/4 cup sifted plain flour
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1/4 cup red glace cherries
- 1/4 cup green glace cherries
- 1/4 cup glace pineapple
- dessertspoon full of dried figs
- dessertspoon full of dried mango or dried apricots
- 1/4 cup pistachio nuts
- 1/4 cup blanched almonds
- dessertspoon of pecans broken up
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- Oven at 180 conventional or 170 Celsius fan forced. Line a bar tin with baking paper
- In a bowl, beat egg whites till soft peaks. Gradually add sugar. Beat till thick and glossy.
- Fold in flour, spice, fruit and nuts until just combined.
- Pour into bar tin and smooth top. Bake 45mins. When cooked let cool completely, wrap in foil and refrigerate overnight.
- Next Day: Oven at 150 Celsius. Place baking paper on an oven tray.
- Unwrap bar and slice as finely as you can.
- Place each piece on oven tray and bake for 20 mins. Let cool completely, biscuits will go crispy.
**Just an added tip. My favourite way to serve it is half dipped in delicious dark chocolate.