We thought we would recreate this traditional dish that Nonna makes as a delicious, creamy breakfast during the winter months. It warms both body and spirit and is completely out of this world! We love it!
This dish is so versatile. It could also be a sweet and tasty dessert. You can consume it both hot or cold.
When cold, the texture is thick and firm, almost like a mousse and I imagine it would be quite refreshing in Summer. But, my personal fave is to consume those textured little pearls warm (like a fortified porridge).
Sometimes, Nonna puts the compote in first, sometimes it’s in the middle and sometimes on top.
This recipe is vegan and gluten free.
- Place the tapioca pearls & coconut milk in a saucepan and allow to soak for 30 mins.
- Add sugar (or honey) and salt and stir over a medium heat.
- As soon as it bubbles, reduce heat and simmer for another 15 mins – stirring frequently so as not to let the tapioca pearls stick to the bottom of the saucepan. (Mixture will gradually thicken).
- While this is simmering, in another saucepan, place the fruit/berries and apple juice. (NB: If the fruit is a little tart, add a tbsp of sugar). Once bubbling, reduce heat and simmer compote a further 10 mins. Set aside until required.
- Once the tapioca has cooked, remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Pour into bowls or cups and you can either add the compote and garnishes immediately or you can refrigerate until completely chilled and pudding becomes firm and then add your garnishes. It can be eaten hot (my personal fave) or as a chilled dish.
- Serve with fresh yoghurt/cream/ice-cream/fresh fruit/granola/coconut flakes/ almond flakes/ choc flakes etc… your choice is only limited by your imagination…