So with the current ‘cold snap’ here in Australia, I find myself reaching for something to warm my belly, particularly after the evening meal.
This recipe is a special treat that brings back so many happy memories of a family trip that we took with the kids to Sicily over 15 years ago. It was over the Christmas break, which is their Winter and it was freezing! Our first White Christmas.
We would so look forward, after all day sightseeing, to come home and relax by the fireside, wrapped up in our cozy woollen rugs, with a steaming cup of rich and velvety Italian Hot Chocolate. Like everything you eat in Italy, it was an experience in itself.
Italian hot chocolate is not like what we have here in Australia. There, it is thicker, more decadent, velvety, sweet and luscious, almost like a mousse.
It truly is a delightful treat and actually very easy to make!
I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. This recipe makes 2 small or 1 larger mug.
I usually pre-make a batch (that makes 10-12 small cups) to keep in the pantry for those days when we feel the need for it. It keeps for approx. 6 months in a sealed container. I will put the amounts you need for this below also.
INGREDIENTS for 1-2 cups
- 3 tbsp Cornflour, sifted
- 3 tbsp Cocoa, sifted
- 2.5-3 tbsp Caster Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 cups milk
- 20-25g Good quality dark chocolate
- Chop dark chocolate finely and set aside till needed.
- Place cornflour, cocoa, caster sugar and salt into a bowl and mix together.
- Add a tablespoon of milk at a time to the dry ingredients and whisk to form a paste (It should take approx. 3 tablespoons).
- Place a small saucepan on medium heat and add the rest of the milk to it.
- As milk begins to heat, add the chocolate paste and whisk to combine.
- Bring to a simmer. As the mixture begins to thicken, remove from heat and whisk in the chopped dark chocolate until it melts. Serve immediately.
INGREDIENTS & METHOD NEEDED TO MAKE A BATCH-
(THIS WILL BE ENOUGH FOR 10-12 SMALL CUPS)
- Sift together 3/4 cup cornflour, 2/3 cup cocoa, 3/4 cup caster sugar and 1/4 tsp salt into a bowl.
- Chop 100g of good quality dark chocolate and add to the dry ingredients. Mix well to combine.
- Store for up to 6 months in an airtight container.
- To make the Italian Hot Choc with this mixture: Take 1/3 cup of the dry mix and whisk a couple of tablespoons milk into the mixture to form a paste. Heat a cup of milk and add the paste, stirring constantly over heat until it becomes smooth and thick. Enjoy!